Set Up Parent Access to Canvas
SETTING UP A PARENT ACCOUNT
Parents can set up their own Canvas account which will allow them to monitor their students' Canvas activities. Below you will find instructions from the Canvas User Guides on how to do this. We strongly advise against the use of the Internet Explorer browser. Chrome or Firefox browsers seem to work the best with Canvas.
Before you begin setting up a parent account, you will need to have your student generate a "Pairing Code".
NOTE: A pairing code is only good for one use. Each parent or guardian will need their own pairing code.
GENERATING A PAIRING CODE
- Have the student log into their Canvas Account on a computer.
- They will need to click the "Account" Icon near the upper right of the screen.
- They need to click the "Settings" link.
- Finally, look on the lower right edge of the screen for a button marked "Pair with Observer"
Signing up for a Parent Account in Canvas
Parents can sign up as an observer to their student's account so they can see assignment dues dates, announcements, and other course content. Observers can view the course content but cannot participate in the course.
This lesson is for parents who do not have a Canvas account and want to observe their students in their courses. In order to create a Canvas account, you will need the Forest Lake Area Schoo'ls Canvas URL.
Open Canvas URL
Create Canvas Account (your login screen may appear different than the one pictured below)
Enter the following information:
Note: Students can generate pairing codes from their User Settings. Admins and instructors may also generate pairing codes.
You can begin observing your student in Canvas immediately.
Additional Item Available from the Canvas Help Guides
Learn how to modify your Canvas notification preferences.
- To observe a student, you must have a student pairing code.
- Once you have an account, you may be able to view student information through the Canvas Parent app. If you already have an account from your student's institution as an observer, you can always view student information through the Canvas Parent app.
- Parents need to use a different URL than that of students and teachers.
- The URL for parents to access FLAS Canvas login is https://flaschools.instructure.com/login/canvas
- Click the Need a Canvas Account? link.
- Click the Parents sign up here link.
- Enter Signup Details
- Enter your name in the Your Name field.
- Enter your email in the Your Email field.
- Enter your password in the Password field.
- Re-enter your password in the Re-enter Password field.
- Enter a paring code to link your account to your student in the Student Pairing Code field.
- Click the Start Participating button.